Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

A little taste of FREEDOM!

Side note: (has nothing to do with the actual post).....Warning: DO NOT Google "shackles, clip art." Thought I'd be safe with the whole "clip art" thing. Apparently not. I guess I'm still a little naive when it comes to browsing the web. But I learned my lesson. Won't be trying that again. So...Rob became the model for these "shackles" (his handcuffs from the good ol' SLC correction officer days. Isn't he so adorable. :)


With our tax return this year, Rob and I decided to relieve ourselves of one set of shackles (aka student loan) and pay off all of our undergrad loans.

We felt all fluttery and anxious at first. I, mean, that's a big chunk of change from the IRS (there are benefits to having hordes of children). That, coupled with a bit from savings, and we were good to go. It was scary. We felt the same anxiety each time we paid off one of our car loans.

You know, like....What if we need that money later?....What if a great disaster befalls us tomorrow and that money is the only thing that could have pulled us through?

Silly stuff, ya know?!?

But...we chocked down the bile, bit the bullet, took one for the team....in all seriousness, HAD A LITTLE FAITH and moved ahead anyway. Once we clicked "confirm payment" all the anxiety and stress melted away.

A heavenly chorus began to sing....

FREEDOM! FREEDOM! FREEDOM!



Doesn't get any better than that!

ONE less monkey on our backs (and believe me...sometimes we have at least four at a time

(AKA...) if you know what I mean)!



IT. FEELS. AWESOME!

What's next?

POST GRAD loans.

UGH!

9 comments:

KS Photography said...

I remember that feeling. SO freeing. I wonder what it'll feel like to not have a mortgage? :)

Sheri said...

What a great feeling!!! We are firm believers in paying off debt in this house and sacrifing (ie tropical vacations each winter) in order to make it happen.
Nice work on making that decision.

Lisa said...

Congratulations! I had those same feelings when paying off our cars. As far as grad school loans...well, we're gonna be working on those for a long time seeing as how we just started paying them off a few months ago!

Valerie said...

That's so exciting! Congratulations!

Celeste said...

Yay!! Congrats! It feels so good to pay off debts! This year we are paying off some things too. It will feel so good (One is my eyes! So worth it, but glad it will be paid for!!!)

Natalie J said...

I am so glad you were able to do it! Great job making the right decision for you guys. I have the same "maybe we should hold onto it" frame of mind sometimes, but it sure is nice to be out of debt!

Ashley said...

YAY for you!! That's great! Congrats!!

Sheena said...

We are in the same boat. I can't wait until the day we can use tax returns/bonuses and other such incomes for ourselves.

Nyree said...

Way to GO!! I am having a hard time parting with one penny of our tax refund!! I wish a tax refund would even make a dent on our student loans! Ugh!! But it will in Chad's new car. Yikes and Yippee! Or ... maybe I want to spend it sprucing up our new house? I do know the right answer its just hard to choke it down!!