Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I BELONG ....and PROUD OF IT!

I don't get out much. Don't read a lot of magazines...don't watch a lot of television. I had no idea that there was a musical being written about the Book of Mormon. So...I can say that until today (when I got an e-mail from Rob's dad (thank you)), this subject had absolutely no bearing on my life whatsoever. But I'm glad I did find out about it. And this is why. The Church, and it's leaders, are so dignified. So loving and so tolerant. It amazes me. On the subject they state: "The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ." (official statement on the subject viewed here) . The following is are two of my favorite quotes from the article “The Publicity Dilemma" in LDS living, May 2009. "“This isn’t 1830, and there aren’t just six of us anymore.” In other words, with a global membership of thirteen and a half million there is no need to feel defensive when the Church is moving forward so rapidly. The Church’s strength is in its faithful members in 170-plus countries, and there is no evidence that extreme misrepresentations in the media that appeal only to a narrow audience have any long-term negative effect on the Church." If the Church allowed critics and opponents to choose the ground on which its battles are fought, it would risk being distracted from the focus and mission it has pursued successfully for nearly 180 years. Instead, the Church itself will determine its own course as it continues to preach the restored gospel of Jesus Christ throughout the world." We, as individuals, will at one time or another (if not already) run into similar conflicts/personal attacks of our church and our beliefs. What perfect examples we have to follow.

5 comments:

Angie said...

I didn't know about it until today either. I thought the statement was great. Really it will probably just be around for a year and then people will get bored of it. I bet most people have not even heard of it.

Nyree said...

Well, you were the one to tell me about it. I prefer not to hear much about the negativity of the world so I don't hear much either. But I feel at times I may be too unaware and sometimes missing on the good things that are happening. I am excited about this. Thanks Mel

The Wright Stuff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wright Stuff said...

I hadn't heard about it either. That's really cool. I love the statement the Church made about it 'entertaining viewers for an evening, but the actual Book of Mormon itself will change people's lives forever.' So powerful! Who knows what influence this will have on the world to open people's hearts to have a desire to read it! Thank you for posting this. I BELONG too and I'm proud of it!

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the great coupon shopping! I miss doing that.