Pages

Monday, April 14, 2008

Sometimes I just want to go home

Mount Timpanogos from Utah Valley

I miss home. Home.........my family, my "happy valley" and the view of Mt. Timpanogos from my parents front porch, my very own townhouse, my comfort zone, my support system, my golds gym (yes, even blasted golds gym), and my less than courteous drivers.

I would like to think that I have done a pretty good job of adjusting to life here in Washington. Most days, I don't even think about where I am or how life is different. I have learned to cope without a lot of things and learned to live with even more. I have successfully bitten my tongue several times when "Utah Mormons" were being attacked and have even learned to like SOME of the people who have done the attacking (note, the "SOME".....by the way, Mom and Dad Gillespie.....don't worry, I was not thinking about you guys when I made this comment even though I do hear never ceasing negative comments about me and my fellow Utah Mormons).

Sweet home [Utah Valley], where the skies are so blue.......sweet home [Utah Valley] ..... I'm coming home to you.

If you can't tell, I'm feeling a little home sick. I am sure it's a combination of a few things: winter blues, white trash neighbors and the ever present cigarette smoke that follows them (side note: for FHE yesterday we took cookies around to neighbors....one of which was sitting on the couch with her children totally doped up....thick tongue, slurred speech and everything...HOME SWEET HOME), never seeing my husband, my children have no place run and play and no regular friends to play with (they miss Sundays at Grandma and Grandpa Hardings), to name a few.

But......there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. Warm weather has to be here soon (although we have had VERY few days of it) and we are moving to a house (it has a fenced back yard and everything....."adios children, see you in a few hours.......hurry, lock the door). It is NOT in a white trash neighborhood (just the opposite, it is on what is so affectionately called "snob hill," and hopefully there will be children there for my kids to play with whom I will ALLOW my children to play with.

I'll let you know when the sun comes out........until then, don't expect any "happy" posts. Just Kidding.

7 comments:

Andrew Harding said...

I didn't know you found a place Mel! I'll have to call and get all the details... that is way exciting.

Oh yeah, I know what you mean about missing happy valley. Although I'm not very prone to homesickness, I also miss Sunday nights at Mom and Dad's.

I haven't heard many UT mormon comments... mostly because my ward is mostly implants from all over the place, including several from UT. If I did though, I think I'd get pretty worked up.... people are people. Mormons are mormons. Doesn't matter where you come from.

Larissa said...

i miss all the friends most...but ironically i miss the northwest. i have never been to spokane so i am not including that in my longing, but boy do i miss vancouver and portland. but i guess since that is where i grew up i will always miss Washington.

Jason & Kelli West said...

Sorry to hear about your neighborhood. That is never fun stuff to deal with!! But yay a house!!! When will all that be going down? If you ask me "snob hill" sounds a lot better than the place you live!! I hope your day gets better!!! :)

Natalie J said...

Sorry to hear you are homesick. I remember the feeling all too well. I called you tonight (Mon) to chat, but you were gone shopping. I will try and call you again tomorrow. I am going to Temple Square with the Conrads. Not that I think that Temple Square is that "YeeHaw" when there aren't lights strung, I just like to take advantage of times that the family comes up to my neck of the woods. Love you and miss you!

Celeste said...

We miss you here too Melanie! But I am way excited that you are moving to a house. I think it will be just what you need right now. And I am also glad that Summer time is coming. That will help too!

Candle Ends said...

Sweet, you got a house in a neighborhood, not a "hood". That's good. Did you ever receive the email response about my wanting to kill Kiril?

KS Photography said...

ME TOO! That is pretty much the view from my mom's house, too. I've been super home sick, well, mainly cabin fever, but I can relate to your anguish. I've been away for 3+ years now and still I get an aching for home. Happy Valley. I seriously almost cried when I saw the picture and what you said about it.