I took Isaac to the doctor the other day. For some reason his doctor thought he should be checked for anemia. Not just a "drop of blood finger poke" test but a "test tube of blood" test. Great...just what we wanted.
We had two options...prick the finger and massage it for several, several minutes to get enough blood out (while the child trashes around and flips blood everywhere) or try to find a vein in the arm big enough to draw the blood from (a bit more traumatizing but much faster). I assured the tech that I am not one of those weepy moms that would pass out from the experience and she suggested finding a vain. I agreed. Isaac was already squirming to get out of there and I wanted the fastest solution possible.
Unfortunately, attempt #1 didn't work. He jerked as the needle was inserted and the tech lost the vein. She tried and tried to get it again but, because she was holding him with her other hand, could not feel around to find it. Ugh!
So...plan B. Finger poke/massage or try the other arm. Call me mean but after considering the options....I chose to try the other arm. The tech called in another nurse and we were much more successful that time. She finally got what she needed. Thank goodness.
The poor kid just kept asking for daddy.
We called daddy when we got out to the car and Isaac tried showing him his owies over the phone. It was cute. I took him to get a treat, "to make it all better" and he was fine. He was very proud of his war wounds and showed everyone.
14 comments:
It takes a good nurse to get a vein. Kendal gets her blood taken about every three months and you can tell the good ones from the bad ones and Kendal is strong so it makes it more challenging. I would have went for the other arm too. Poor guy.
he better be anemic....love it!
I am not a weepie mom and I don't pass out, but I still have a hard time being ok with them screaming while getting poked numerous times. It takes about 9 times for anyone to ever find MY veins, so I just cringe. It took 2 times on Ashton in Oct when we went for blood tests for allergies. I am glad he was not traumatized and was proud of his battle wounds.
Right there with ya Mel! He so better be anemic! McKay was always a hard poke. I use to lay my body on his legs so he couldn't move. I know, I'm so mean :) Hey man, when you have to get a draw once a month you figure out what works.
That IS sad!
Poor boy, glad you're a strong mommy! The dr. asked me today if we should do all of Carson's immunizations today, or have him come back and do them in two segments. I asked her if she thought I was crazy, stick him and get it over with!
I love how they think that the person can see over the phone. It is quite funny. :) CUTE KID. :)
What a cute tough kid! I've never heard of them needing that much blood for an anemia test. Poor boy. Jenna was anemic at 9 months. The doctor thought I was crazy cause I didn't want the prescription of iron. I feed her juiced apples, carrots and beets (my sister has a juicer in Payson. I have one now too) Not everyday, but often and at 1 yr she was back to normal! Sorry if that was too much info! Just thought I'd share.
LOL!!!!!
Just let him watch the next one being circumcised. He won't feel so bad about a few pokes after that!
So is he anemic?
I don't know who's tougher - you or your little boy!
It's awful! I had to do that with Benjamin, fortunately the two times were two weeks apart and not the same day. Hope all is well with him!
not fun!! squirming kids makes it hard. when jensen had the croupe a nurse held his arm while i held his body all while the other nurse was taking his blood. And he fished around, finding a vein in a 5 month old baby is not easy. He was screaming the whole time. I hope everything comes out ok. that poor kid though, the look on his face is so sad.
Post a Comment